Tuesday, December 4, 2007

"A special evening filled with romance and entertainment."

So last week I received and invitation that stated the following...

Dearest President and Family:

Today is not a holiday
It isn't even your birthday
But I still thought I'd like to send
A special message to my friend
You make me laugh and make me smile
You ease my troubles for a while
When clouds are thick and skies are gray
You put some sunshine in my day
You're really thoughtful sweet and kind
I know I've only told you once or twice
That I think you are very nice
But someone who's as great as you
Should be told more often than I do
And so I send these words with love
Why did I send them?...just because

You are cordially invited to attend a special evening filled with romance and entertainment.
For Young Women Leaders and their families.

My Laurels had asked permission to "take charge" of the activity tonight and told me that it was a surprise so I couldn't be in the know. When I asked them to make sure they asked the other leaders if they needed assistance, they told me they were not privy to the information either, so I kind of had a clue what they were up to. However, I never imagined it would be as amazing as it was. Here is how the night went down. We showed up to the church to find a table set with china and crystal, with just enough place settings for all the leaders and their spouses. A few of the YW greeted us at the door and whisked our children off to the nursery where they fed them macaroni and cheese, and dirt cups for dessert. Since it's my birthday, I had a special seat at the head of the table, with the classic "you are special" red plate and a very large birthday hat to wear (which matched my birthday princess sash that was delivered to my door this morning). They served us a delicious dinner, complete with sparkling cider! The YW were all dressed in their Sunday best and did a fantastic job serving us. Then for our entertainment, Jenna (one of my laurels) had asked all of the husbands to take a few minutes to share a few words about how fantastic their wives are. Then they presented us with gifts: custom mugs they painted for us, with hot chocolate and marshmallows! It's really such an honor to serve these YW and so touching to think about all the time and effort that was put into an evening we thoroughly enjoyed.

Thanks Jenna, Sarah, Allison, Kayla, Brie, Cailey, Janavieve, Catherine, Shannon, Bailey, Keri and Alexi (and the rest of you who were behind the scenes), tonight was fabulous!



The gang



The birthday girl in her special seat, wearing her special attire.



My amazing board (minus one adviser who couldn't make it)



Leaders with some of the YW who made it all happen.



Oh, and I had my very own designated parking spot for the evening (they really thought of everything)!

8 comments:

Jill said...

How fun! What awesome YW!! So, that is one more thing we have in common...bday's in December!! How old are you???? HAPPY BDAY!!

Lemme said...

WOW!!! They totally went all out!! Looks like you had a lot of fun!!! I so envy you with your calling!! You always have fun stories!! I had no idea it was your birthday either!! Happy Birthday!! (See you in 20 days!!!)

Calley said...

Holy smokes, what kind of young women do you have?! Those are some amazing girls to put up something so nice. How fun!

aim said...

So much fun - that was really sweet of those girsl. They must really love you. Sounds like you're in the PERFECT calling!Cute pics.

fünf said...

Happy BIRTHDAY dear CRYSTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are my idol forever. My American Idol. Your YW are so awesome because they want to be just like you, just like I want to be just like you. You are an amazing woman who knows everything and on top of it can whip up a lemon tart in a flash. Who wouldn't want to be you. I am pretty sure that there isn't anyone out there who doesn't secretly or openly want to be Crystal Soptich Lemme. I am one of the openly people.

Happy Birthday to one of my favorite hunan beans in the whole world.

KellyAnne said...

Hey, send me these pics! That was SUCH a great night. I don't think we deserved so much attention. Our girls are fabulous! :)

Jenna Marin said...

You make us sound too good. It's not true. You all definitely, 100% deserve it. Thanks for being such a good sport through all of it.. and all the sash wearing today too! You rock, President. I mean.. honestly.

P.S. I really should have changed your invite, bc it WAS your bday.. and in the poem it said it wasn't... lol.

Tara said...

Crystal, I loved your Christmas card and hearing what you are all up too. Sounds like all is well in your home. Lots of big changes for your family. I think its exciting! I miss you, and treasure all of our late nights at the hospital. You will be an amazing YW president. I was called right after I left the hospital when we moved, and served for 3 amazing years. You will laught and you will cry! You will die with all the time it takes, but fall in love with those young women. What a blessing. I didn't know what to do with all my time when I was released. Now I miss it with all my heart. Good luck to you. This blog thing is a fun way to keep in touch! You can check out my little crew. Good luck on your new adventures! Tara